WHOI Summer Student Fellowship: Undergraduate students who will have finished their junior year at a college or university before the beginning of the fellowship period are eligible to apply for summer student fellowships. Applications from students who will graduate before the fellowship starts are not accepted. The program is intended for students to participate in during their final undergraduate summer.
Any science or engineering subject, including but not limited to biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, geophysics, mathematics, meteorology, physics, oceanography, and marine policy, is open to applicants. Marine policy, oceanographic engineering, or the ocean sciences must at least pique the curiosity of the students.
WHOI Summer Student Fellowship
|Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
|Men and Women
|February 5th, 2024
Goals and Benefits of WHOI Summer Student Fellowship
- Weekly Stipend: A weekly stipend for the program lasting ten to twelve weeks. For the summer of 2021, the stipend is $650 per week.
- Travel: Woods Hole Round-Trip Travel. The trip stipend for 2020 is $700.
- Housing: Two single beds per room in a communal apartment.
- Assistance with Visas: International students will help fellowships secure the required documentation for a J-1 visa.
Criteria for WHOI Summer Student Fellowship
- All international students, regardless of nationality, are eligible to apply for the programs.
- Third-year undergraduate students are eligible to apply for the program.
- Applications from students who will graduate before the fellowship starts are not accepted.
- Students must be in their second year of a three-year bachelor’s degree program, such as those offered in the UK.
- Students enrolled in a five-year program that combines a bachelor’s and master’s degree must be in their third year.
Required Documents for Application
- A recent curriculum vitae or resume that highlights work history and educational background
- An unofficial transcript as of right now, in PDF format. (Note: Any applicant who is awarded a Summer Student Fellowship must provide an official transcript.)
- Two reference letters from instructors or other people who are acquainted with the applicant’s academic background (you can list up to three recommenders in total). Your referees will be sent a special URL to submit.
- Questions for a research statement (short essays included in the application):
- How may a research summer at WHOI help you achieve your academic and professional objectives? (maximum of 250 words)
- What traits and attributes from your work, hobbies, and/or life experiences will you bring to our program? (Maximum 200 words)
- Have you ever conducted research or worked on other projects for a class assignment, a job, or an internship? Give an instance of how you have applied newly acquired abilities or information to resolve a dilemma. (Maximum 200 words)
- What areas of marine research are you interested in, and why? You may refer to a specific lab at WHOI or a general area; see WHOI Departments, WHOI Areas of Research, and specific posted projects (2024 list coming soon). (200 words max)
- Optional: Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself? (200 words max)
Deadline for Application
February 5th, 2024
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution on apply.whoi.edu to apply
For more details,visit WHOI website