The Commonwealth is a voluntary alliance of 54 independent nations with an estimated population of 2.4 billion with 1.4 billion in India, practically all of which were ruled by the British Empire in the past. The Commonwealth was founded on the foundations of the previous British Empire.
Commonwealth scholarships are awarded to Talented people with the potential to have a positive influence on the world stage.
Every year, some 800 students are granted the opportunity to pursue degrees at commonwealth universities as part of the continuous commitment to the Commonwealth.
The commonwealth scholarships offer a once-in-a-lifetime chance for students who are dedicated to bringing about change in their communities to extend their perspectives, experience a new culture, and create a lifelong worldwide network.
What is the Commonwealth scholarship?
The Commonwealth Scholarships are a global initiative run by the governments of the Commonwealth for nationals of other Commonwealth nations. It is offered each year to potential graduate or doctoral students from developing and underdeveloped countries.
The primary UK government scholarship program, which is driven by goals for international development, is exclusively provided by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK (CSC). The CSC provides around 800 prizes each year for postgraduate education and professional development.
Types of Commonwealth scholarships
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
- Commonwealth Distance learning Scholarships
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships
- Commonwealth Medical Fellowships
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships
Commonwealth developmental themes:
These awards are available on the following six development themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Nations eligible for the application
From the initial paragraphs, the commonwealth is a confluence of countries; 54 independent countries and every country under such alliance are considered eligible. these countries include:
- Siri Lanka
- Kenya etc.
2023 Candidate Eligibility
In order to qualify, scholars must:
- Be a citizen of a commonwealth country
- Be a permanent resident of a commonwealth country
- Complete your undergraduate degree and receive at least an upper second-class grade.
- You must finish your master’s program before you may enroll in a PHD program.
- You must provide evidence that you would not be able to finish your studies without a scholarship.
Benefits of the Commonwealth scholarship award.
Most scholarships are fully financed, which means they will pay for your tuition, travel expenses to and from the UK, and a stipend to help you live while you are there.
- At the conclusion of the award, you will be given a return flight from your native country to the UK.
- They cover the cost of tuition.
- Student living expenses begin at £1,133 per month or, depending on where you live, £1,390 per month.
- Allowance for warm clothes paid and financed by the university
- Pay for travel expenses when doing research or studying
- If your child is under 16 years old and you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, you are entitled to a child allowance of £485 per month for the first child and £120 per month for any additional children.
HOW TO APPLY FOR COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME 2023:
Applications for the Commonwealth scholarship 2023/2024 is currently ongoing.
The closing date for the application is March 2023.
There is good news for Commonwealth Scholarship recipients who want to travel to the UK. The Common Wealth Scholarship application is currently open. Visit the following websites for eligibility verification and other information:
Please visit the CSC application page to learn more about how to apply for any of these scholarships.
RELATED POST: THE GATES SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME